Poker Europa is Europe’s oldest running poker magazine. It has been around since 1999, but is now set to close down its operations due mainly to the current economic recession and their subsequent decline in revenue. It is certainly going to be sad to see the said poker magazine go, especially since it has been a fixture in the European Poker Scene for such a long time.
About Poker Europa
Poker Europa, as mentioned, is Europe’s oldest running Poker magazine. It actually started out as a free publication when it was launched on January 1, 1999. The founder, Nic Szeremeta, had the aim of uniting Europe’s poker playing scene by providing information about the happenings in the world of poker around the world. But anyone can see that the world has changed greatly since 1999. Today, publications are of little use when technological advancements have made sure that we get our news on real time. Nowadays, we need only to log into the internet and we can find out immediately what’s happening all over the world.
In fact, sites such as YouTube have ensured that we can even see these events for ourselves. As such, it has become quite difficult, if not impossible, for a free poker publication to survive. Poker Europa only relies on advertising to fund their operation, but the recession has pushed their revenue back by 60%. “One thing I know about poker is when to quit the game, and this is it”, says Nic Szeremeta; and really, he could not have said it any better.
A Sad Farewell
It’s very sad that the poker community has to say goodbye to Poker Europa, but Nic Szeremeta is confident that they have already achieved their goal. In fact, Szeremeta was awarded with a “Lifetime Achievement Award” for all his efforts in uniting the poker industry. Szeremeta expressed his thanks to all the supporters of the said publication in a memorable statement: “Heartfelt thanks to all our loyal readers, advertisers, writers, translators, printer, designer, and our hard-working editor Eliza Burnett – you have been great.” Szeremeta ended by adding a nice tip for all the readers of the publication out there and that’s to hold onto this last subscription. Who knows, they might just be able to sell it on eBay someday. Indeed, Poker Europa, with its 12 years of excellent service, has truly made poker history.
More Related Articles
- Poker Hall of Fame Candidates for 2010 RevealedSeptember 07, 2010
- France Opens its Arms to Titan PokerDecember 07, 2010
- Gregory Brooks Wins WPT LA Poker ClassicMarch 05, 2011
- Gus Hansen’s Winning Streak DisruptedFebruary 26, 2011
- Viktor Blom Loses Big to Phil Galfond on PokerStarsAugust 27, 2011
- WSOP on ESPN: Hellmuth Makes Another Grand EntranceJanuary 09, 2010
- Randal Flowers Acquires WPT Festa al Lago TitleOctober 22, 2010
- Viktor Blom’s Wild Poker Adventures OnlineDecember 18, 2011
- Poker Community Extends its Support to the Victims of Haiti EarthquakeJanuary 15, 2010
- The durrrr Challenge: Dwan Wins $63,000December 19, 2010