Ilari Sahamies, or Zigmund, is a Finnish poker player which is well known for his trash talk directed to his fellow professional poker players during live games. Of course, it’s not anything that serious since he’s usually good friends with these players. Just this week Sahamies was able to win himself a very impressive $800,000 playing his game of expertise pot limit Omaha. The most impressive thing however, is the fact that Sahamies won the biggest pot recorded in PokerStars.
Sahamies started playing at the age of 15, when he first participated in a home game at Patrik Antonius’ home. At the age of 18, he then tried out the game at the Grand Casino Helsinki which served as the debut his career in the game. Things didn’t go well when he developed a nasty habit of playing games while intoxicated. He even lost $700,000 in a day in online poker due to this nasty habit. He then got rid of this habit but still drinks when playing live games. The professional poker player was an avid live tournament participant. He then moved to online poker rooms where he now makes most of his money. He still appears in live poker rooms and on television shows such as the High Stakes Poker and Poker After Dark.
His Big Win
It all happened at the pot limit Omaha table online when he was against Andreas Torbergsen and a player “bernard-bb”. On the board were the cards K of spades, 3 of spades, and 2 of hearts and Bernard-bb checked. Sahamies was a bit aggressive and bet $4,595 which Torbergsen saw was a small amount and raised to $18,380. Player bernard-bb eventually called and so did Sahamies. When the 9 of hearts was reveled on the turn, Sahamies checked and Torbergsen went all in for $10,428. Player bernard-bb check raised to $91,000 which Sahamies called. Then the river was revealed to be a 3 of hearts, and an $85,000 all in bet was directed towards Sahamies, which he called with A heart, K heart, 6 heart, 4 clubs which gave him a flush. After winning the pot, Sahamies was considered the biggest overall winner. Sahamies has won a $421,826 pot which is the largest pot ever won on PokerStars. The pot also let hum get to a $1.5 million profit since July, which negated his losses this year.
More Related Articles
- High Stakes Poker Premieres on Valentine’s DayFebruary 07, 2010
- Poland Bans Online PokerJune 28, 2011
- WSOP to host a $1 million Buy-in Event Next YearJune 05, 2011
- Grinders to Debut at Hot Docs Film FestivalApril 13, 2011
- Poker Fantasy moves to Merge NetworkJanuary 25, 2010
- SuperStar Showdown: Isildur1 vs. DodgyFish72March 02, 2011
- The durrrr Challenge: Jungleman12 Widens Gap to $800,000January 07, 2011
- Rod Wright Indicted: A bad Thing for Online PokerSeptember 19, 2010
- Poker Hall of Fame Nominations now Officially OpenAugust 24, 2010
- Blom Wins against Cates in SuperStar ShowdownFebruary 02, 2011